Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Rest In Peace Speedy

League champion 92






When I first became aware of my love for Leeds United was in the 91/92 season this also happened to be the season we were crowned champions of England this may paint me as a glory fan but I was only 7/8 years old and my dad is a life long Leeds fan so I have more than enough reason there to support them . Anyway my point is that the Midfield 4some of Gordon Strachen , Gary McAllister, David Batty and Gary Speed  were as a group as good as any midfield in Leeds United history definitely up there with the great Don Revie midfield of the 60's , The most exciting of these midfielder s was the young Welshman Gary Speed his driving runs down the left wing were a sight to behold his crosses for supreme target man Lee Chapman were a thing of beauty and his far post headed and volleyed goals were a example for all young wide-men of how to get in to the box and score goals .

I was devastated when we sold Speed to Everton for at the time a good sum of £3.5 million to me he seemed to epitomise everything that is Leeds United the drive , desire to play for the shirt , the passion . we would struggle to replace him until a certain Australian left winger came through our academy in the late 90's .

Speed went on to play many many many more premier league games for clubs like Newcastle and Bolton on top of the many years at Leeds and Everton , he had recently become the manager of the Welsh national team a job we all thought he could do a good job in with exciting talent like Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey doing the business for the welsh on the pitch the future looked bright .

When i woke up on Sunday afternoon to a text message from my wife about his passing I suppose I went in to a state of shock I didn't want to believe it i was devastated and I'm not ashamed to say i shed a tear at the news Speedy has been a part of all our lives for a long time as Leeds fan I like to think we were extra proud of his success as he was one of us , What ever it was that led him to take his own life cant have been bad enough to lead to that end but he must of felt that it was the only way out .

My thoughts and go out to his wife and children at this time and where ever you are Speedy I hope your now at peace , you will always be a hero to me .

No comments:

Post a Comment